Itch.io is not taking any cash from builders as we speak
Indie digital storefront Itch.io is holding its first ever Creator Day as we speak, which signifies that till midnight tonight it’ll take no minimize from purchases made on its platform—the builders get all of it.
“Builders, musicians, and artists will obtain 100% of gross sales after taxes and cost processor charges,” Itch.io mentioned. “We hope to make this a daily occasion to offer builders an excuse to share and promote their works.”
There is not any reference to different storefronts within the announcement, nevertheless it stands as a fairly clear counterpoint to Steam, which is dealing with rising strain from builders, publishers, and different sellers over the 30% minimize it continues to take from most gross sales. Valve barely diminished the quantity it takes from some video games in late 2018—as a substitute of 30% throughout the board, it now solely takes 25% on earnings over $10 million, and 20% on earnings in extra of $50 million—however that leaves out the overwhelming majority of indie devs (those who would most profit from a discount in charges, in different phrases), and it pales compared to the 12% minimize now taken by Epic Video games and Microsoft.
Itch.io takes an much more relaxed method: Its default charge is 10%, and if builders wish to drop that every one the best way to nothing, they will. (And as we speak, they do not have a alternative.)
To assist get the wheels turning, Itch.io additionally has a Creator Day sale web page going. So far as I can inform it is actually only a roundup of stuff that is on sale anyway, however there are some good decisions right here:
- Rusty Lake Paradise – I’ll by no means not suggest the Rusty Lake video games, and Paradise is especially good.
- Nuts – A tough-boiled detective thriller about squirrels and their nuts. It is actually good.
- Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion – The title is catchy, and Mollie favored it lots.
- A Quick Hike – An acclaimed indie sport about having fun with a wee trek.
- Shadowhand – An RPG card sport about an 18th-century highwaywoman. (Its predecessor, Regency Solitaire, is on sale too.)
- Kentucky Route Zero – Only a nice, dreamlike narrative journey. Cannot suggest it sufficient.
Itch.io’s Creator Day runs till 11:59 pm PT on Might 14.